RE: [xsl] Calling subdocuments with processing directives

Subject: RE: [xsl] Calling subdocuments with processing directives
From: "Michael Kay" <mike@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 26 Oct 2007 18:41:15 +0100

> The "default" you refer to is on retrieval. It is not clear
> to me why that context is relevant in the case of keys. Why
> do you have to specify the source of the value? That seems
> very odd to me. The name of the key includes the source path?

The key definition includes a pattern - a condition that nodes must satisfy
in order to be eligible. You seem to be suggesting that you would like the
search in some sense to be global - to search all known documents. There
seems to be something of a closed world assumption there. All documents
previously loaded using the document() function? But what does "previously"
mean in XSLT - there's no defined order of execution.

Consider

<xsl:variable name="doc1" select="document('foo.xml')"/>
<xsl:variable name="bbb" select="key('k', 93.7)"/>

Should $doc1 be searched? Why? It typically isn't loaded until it's needed,
and if no-one ever refers to $doc1 then it never will be loaded.

Michael Kay
http://www.saxonica.com/