Re: [xsl] Throw Exception When the node contains invalid for that context in XSLT to Java

Subject: Re: [xsl] Throw Exception When the node contains invalid for that context in XSLT to Java
From: Abel Braaksma <abel.online@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 28 Mar 2007 20:20:34 +0200

Senthilkumaravelan K wrote:
Hi
I would like to know ,is there any way I can define exception rules in
XSLT and throw them back to Java wolrd during transform process.

say  I have a node in my XML
<myvalue>Y</myvalue >
If the the text value of myvalue Node is "N" I need to throw an
exceptinon to Java world
during my XSLT transformation otherwise prodcue the output .

You don't throw an exception from one language to another (well, you could do something like it with extension functions of course). If all you are after is to stop the processing, you could simply do this in XSLT 1.0 and 2.0.

<xsl:message terminate="yes">Some reason here</xsl:message>

XPath 2.0 also has the error() function.
In addition, Saxon SA has some extensions that allow you to try-catch, but that is more useful to actually catch XPath/XSLT errors I believe.

Usually, I report back my result by using a specific namespace with some information, or it is part of the architecture altogether. That way, the results are easily distinguishable and you can act upon a certain node appearing in your output (or simply code such that there is no output when there is "N" in the 'myValue' node).

Cheers,
-- Abel