Re: [xsl] Use document() with asp

Subject: Re: [xsl] Use document() with asp
From: Abel Braaksma <abel.online@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 28 Oct 2006 12:12:48 +0200

Giancarlo Rossi wrote:
I have an asp page able to inizialize the sessionId value

Sessione.asp

<%
response.write "<?xml version='1.0' encoding='utf-8'?>"
response.write "<session_id>"&session.sessionId&"</session_id>"
%>
-----------

In my xsl 1.0 I call the value inside the template:

<xsl:value-of select="document('sessione.asp')//session_id" />

But it goes on error:

Nome con carattere iniziale non valido.

Name with character not valid...

It'is necessary open only document with .xml extension ?
Thanks in advance.

No. It is necessary to use a valid URI. And your document must be valid XML. You don't show your document here, but if it is this (from the ASP output):

<?xml version='1.0' encoding='utf-8'?>
<session_id>"&session.sessionId&"</session_id>

then it is not valid XML. The character entiy is not declared. Change it to:

<?xml version='1.0' encoding='utf-8'?>
<session_id>"&amp;session.sessionId&amp;"</session_id>

and better yet, use the standard ASP escaping methods that are around for doing just this.

If, on the other hand, ASP is a language that translates "&session.sessionId&" to something else (I do not know ASP), you must check the final value that is output by your ASP processor.

Cheers,
-- Abel Braaksma
  http://www.nuntia.com