Re: [xsl] Relationships in for-each statement

Subject: Re: [xsl] Relationships in for-each statement
From: Wendell Piez <wapiez@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 08 Sep 2006 12:10:17 -0400

Bob,

At 06:44 PM 9/7/2006, you wrote:
First, it doesn't look to me like you need that xsl:if test at all.
As on other occasions, if no such nodes exist, a for-each instruction
won't select any to operate on.

:-) "While we were in a commercial break," that xsl:if test lets me know I need to output a proper header for the group of items to follow.

Well in that case ... you're sure to have figured out that having to use the same monster path twice -- once in an xsl:if for the "wrapper logic" and a second time inside the "if" clause to select the nodes themselves -- makes for all the more reason to bind it to a variable. It will prevent a processor that has no optimization for this from looking through the entire document repeatedly for the same nodes.

Yeah, I saw that from David. I'm very excited about that, for more
than one reason.

As for being excited by this: I guess that's what makes you a computer programmer.

Cheers,
Wendell