RE: [xsl] Using attributes with XPath

Subject: RE: [xsl] Using attributes with XPath
From: "Jacqueline Radebaugh" <jrad@xxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 23 Aug 2006 15:16:56 -0400

Hello:

Thank you very much for your help.  I revised my code so that I created two
templates for the attributes of the <list> element.  It looks like:

<!-- list[parent::description] -->
<xsl:template match="list[parent::description]">
<fo:list-block>
  <xsl:apply-templates/>
 </fo:list-block>
</xsl:template>

<xsl:template match="@type[parent::list]">
<fo:inline  font-size="10pt" font-weight="normal">
<xsl:apply-templates/>
  </fo:inline>
</xsl:template>

<xsl:template match="@mark[parent::list]">
<fo:inline  font-size="10pt" font-weight="normal">
<xsl:apply-templates/>
  </fo:inline>
</xsl:template>

<xsl:template match="item[parent::list]">
<fo:list-item>
 <fo:list-item-label>
 <fo:block>&#x2022;</fo:block>
 </fo:list-item-label>
 <fo:list-item-body>
 <fo:block>
 <xsl:apply-templates/>
 </fo:block>
 </fo:list-item-body>
 </fo:list-item>
</xsl:template>

I am still obtaining no output of the list.  However, when I take the
attributes off of the <list> element in my source code, i.e.,

<list>
<item>- The item contains more than one language one of which may be a sign
language</item>
<item>- The item is or includes a translation</item>
<item>- The language of the summaries, abstracts, or accompanying material
differs from the language of the main item</item>
<item>- The language of a table of contents differs from the language of the
main item</item>
</list>

my XSLT code works.   What I am still doing wrong?  It is definitely related
to the attributes of <list> (i.e.,  type="marked" mark="*").

Thank you very much for your help!

Best wishes,

Jackie Radebaugh

Library of Congress
Network Development & MARC Standards Office
Washington, DC
USA
Phone:  +1-202-707-1153
FAX:  +1-202-707-0115
E-Mail:  jrad@xxxxxxx

>>> mike@xxxxxxxxxxxx 08/22/06 4:27 PM >>>
>
> <xsl:template match="list">
> <fo:list-block>
>   <xsl:apply-templates select="@*

That will apply-templates to the attributes of the list element, but if
you've written any template rules that match attributes, you haven't shown
them to us.

| *[contains(@type,
> $my_version) or string-length(@type)=0] | text()"/>

That will match children of the list element that have a type attribute
satisfying certain conditions, but in the XML you showed us, no children of
the list element have a type attribute.

| text()"/>

That will match text node children of the list element, but in the data you
showed us, the only text node children of the list element were whitespace.

Michael Kay
http://www.saxonica.com/