Re: [xsl] Office 2007, XSL-FO, and the Adobe "Save as PDF" (non)native-support...

Subject: Re: [xsl] Office 2007, XSL-FO, and the Adobe "Save as PDF" (non)native-support...
From: Robert Koberg <rob@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 06 Jun 2006 14:24:39 -0400

Keith Fahlgren wrote:
On Sunday 04 June 2006 3:39 pm, Robert Koberg wrote:
I have some experience with publishing companies (more than most, I
would bet) and they do not use tools to convert XML to PDF. If they
are going to output to PDF they go straight to PDF and the /real/
source is long gone or in some proprietary binary format (probably
most likely) when the document lives.

Just for the record, publishing companies have in the past and continue to use tools to convert XML to PDF.

For the record, I originally said, I *hope* it dies.

/And O'Reilly publishing is a little different.../

(just coming off a conversion of a large number of PDFs... arrggghhh... I hate PDF...)

-Rob

For example, see the date here (and the discussion of the obsolete 'gmat'): http://www.oreillynet.com/pub/a/oreilly/xml/news/learningxml_0201.html

Publishers are using XSL-FO now, of course.

HTH, Keith