RE: [xsl] Unwanted xmlns attribute appearing

Subject: RE: [xsl] Unwanted xmlns attribute appearing
From: "Michael Kay" <mike@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 26 Apr 2006 20:16:18 +0100

Think of <item>...</item> as an instruction to create an element with a
particular name. The name has two parts: a namespace URI and a local part.
Both of these are copied from the name of the element in the stylesheet. So
your new element has namespace URI = "" and local name = "item".

But its parent in the result tree has a different namespace URI. So to
ensure that the item element is in the right namespace (the "null"
namespace, in this case) the serializer has to generate a namespace
declaration.

You probably wanted <item> to be in the same namespace as its parent in the
result tree. To get it in that namespace, you have to put it there, which
you do by means of namespace declarations in the stylesheet.

Michael Kay
http://www.saxonica.com/