So at this point the authors dash is no more - when the XML is parsed
the dash has become a non-displayed control character, that does
nothing.  Confusingly though, if it gets serialised back out as #150
both IE and Firefox render it as a dash - even for XHTML...

Compounding the issue the XML prolog states the encoding to be
ISO-8859-1 (which doesn't contain #150) whereas I think the actual
encoding is Windows-1252 (which does contain #150) - I would've
expected the parser to complain about the byte not being in the
encoding, but it seems fine with it.

I can deal with the #150 by replacing it with #8211, as I think it's
safe to assume that anywhere #150 is used in an XML document the real
intention was for #8211, and then get it fixed at source, so there
isn't really a problem, just lots of confusion (which is par for the
course when it comes to encoding)