Re: [xsl] rephrased: passing parameters to generic templates

Subject: Re: [xsl] rephrased: passing parameters to generic templates
From: "andrew welch" <andrew.j.welch@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 12 Apr 2006 17:32:15 +0100

On 4/12/06, Wendell Piez <wapiez@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> At 07:59 AM 4/12/2006, Andrew wrote:
> >If I were using 2.0 I would use a tunnelled parameter that was created
> >at the <para> matching template and then read in the <a> matching
> >template, but the OP didnt day whether they could use 2.0 or not....
>
> What would the advantage of this be over the old-fashioned way?
>
> Would we save a few microseconds?
>
> Isn't the direct approach easier to maintain?

I always try and avoid ancestor and descendant - whenever I use them
my conscience tells me I'm being lazy, and makes me use a different
approach...

In this example there are many <a>'s to one <docBase>, so traversing
ancestor each time to retrieve the same value seems like a waste - if
there are 3 <a>'s, that means 3 trips up the same ancestor axis to get
the same value (I guess it probably gets optimized, but why rely on
that?) much better to store the value in a tunnelled parameter.