Re: [xsl] Natural Logarithms using Transformiix

Subject: Re: [xsl] Natural Logarithms using Transformiix
From: Wendell Piez <wapiez@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 23 Mar 2006 14:10:14 -0500

Etienne,

At 01:05 PM 3/23/2006, you wrote:
Wendell
> It appears to be an ambitious thing you're attempting.

I thought it was quite a simple need: y = log(tan(PI/4+lat*PI/360))

It's a simple need, but XSLT has no native log() or tan(). It wasn't designed to be a general-purpose programming language, and trigonometry wasn't in scope.

I think I'll look at ways of pre-calculating the projection before the
XSL processor gets it.

Doing it in yet a different layer! That's an excellent idea (why didn't I think of it?).

Note that your basic requirement -- log() and tan() -- could be dealt with easily enough in many current XSLT frameworks, despite the language's not having being developed with this kind of thing in mind. And as noted before, since XSLT 2.0 has a native equivalent to node-set() (it just does what's required without having to be asked), FXSL is perfectly at home there.

Meseems that if MS is cool on XSLT 2.0 and Mozilla/Firefox isn't going there either, there's room for some ambitious browser developer to make a mark with XSLT 2.0 on the client. I don't have the depth to say whether that'd be a bad idea (due to implications for security or whatever). But if it were possible, many amazing things would be enabled thereby.

BTW the end product is, I think, quite a nice use of XSL and SVG.  You
can see it here:

http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/index.php/Osmarender

Yes it is! Thanks for the link.

Cheers,