Re: [xsl] xsl:strip-space and position()

Subject: Re: [xsl] xsl:strip-space and position()
From: David Carlisle <davidc@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 8 Mar 2006 13:03:15 GMT

  I understand this if we use "node()" as part of the XPath expression,
  implicitly or explicitly, but in all cases, I can think of, when using the
  position() function, we will always be more specific in order to include the
  proper elements only.

why say that? node() is the default selection with apply-templates and
so is almost certainly the most common xpath selection to be used in
xslt.

  Could someone give me a realistic markup example of the position() function
  not working properly if xsl:strip-space is not used?

input

<a>
  <b/>
  <b/>
  <b/>
</a>

stylesheet

<xsl:template match="a">
  <xsl:apply-templates/>
</xsl:template>

<xsl:template match="b">
  position: <xsl:value-of select="position()"/>
</xsl:template>

David

http://www.star.net.uk