RE: [xsl] XML fragment as a param ?

Subject: RE: [xsl] XML fragment as a param ?
From: "Michael Kay" <mike@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 3 Nov 2005 13:05:17 -0000

> I'm not certain how Xalan handles this, but the general technique is:
>
> get your XSLT processor, configured with your stylesheet and input XML
> document;
> get your XML fragment (probably by selecting a node from a
> DOMDocument, or
> if it's text, by having it parsed into a DOMDocument);
> add it as a parameter to the processor (MSXML uses
> "addParameter"; Xalan's
> processor class will have a similar method);

Xalan, like Saxon, uses the setParameter() method on the JAXP
javax.xml.transform.Transformer class.

However, the JAXP API doesn't actually say what kind of object you can
supply as the value. Most products will allow you to supply a DOM node (they
may restrict which DOM implementations you are allowed to use). Saxon allows
you to supply any JAXP Source object, so if you supply a StreamSource
containing raw XML, the XML will be parsed and the stylesheet will see the
resulting document node as the parameter value.

Michael Kay
http://www.saxonica.com/