Re: [xsl] document() source

Subject: Re: [xsl] document() source
From: David Carlisle <davidc@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 31 Oct 2005 11:22:26 GMT

> Are you going to spoil everybody's fun by correcting your own spelling
> mistakes now? Spoilsport!

I try to avoid errors in code samples (not with any great success:-)

> On a more serious note, I note that you, Michael and I have each
> chosen a different one of the three XPath 2.0 escaping/encoding
> functions.

How on earth URI escaping could be such a definitional mess I can't
imagine. For once this isn't the XSL/XQuery group's fault: the core
URI specs are hmm odd at best (although the recent revision will
probably make things a bit better in the long run). Why does URI %hh
escaping mechanism use an "escape character" that is not itself
reserved for escaping and can be used to stand for itself at the whim of
the author...

In the case of data: URIs  I'm not sure it makes much difference which
you use, the main difference is whether URI syntax characters like / are
escaped or not, but as data: is not hierarchical, even if / isn't
escaped it won't be taken as a path separator (I think).

David

http://www.star.net.uk