Re: [xsl] Merging 2 XML's in to 1 output XML (Performance Issue)

Subject: Re: [xsl] Merging 2 XML's in to 1 output XML (Performance Issue)
From: Elliotte Harold <elharo@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 14 Oct 2005 09:23:43 -0400

Michael Kay wrote:

The problem is, I don't know whether the ContentHandler does expect to
receive data from an XSL transformation.

If someone's giving the ContentHandler to TrAX, then I think it's a pretty good bet they expect it to receive output from an XSL transformation.

This problem first arose, as it happens, with FOP as the ContentHandler.

I'm not sure exactly what that problem was. Since FOP expects to receive an XSL-FO document, and an XSL-FO document always has a certain root element, I suspect the bug here was probably in the stylesheet, not Saxon or FOP. Possibly FOP should have noticed that the document didn't have a single root, and gracefully reported an error, but if it didn't that's hardly the biggest problem with FOP. I certainly don't see any justification here for Saxon to fail to report the complete contents of the result tree generated by applying the supplied stylesheet to the supplied input document in accordance with the XSLT specification.

As you know yourself, the specs don't always provide the answers, and a
software designer has to make decisions. Describing a conscious decision
which happens to be different from the one you would have made as a "bug" is
not helpful.

I can't help but see a conscious decision to omit parts of the result tree as a bug. Perhaps it's an intended bug rather than an accidental one, but bug I will call it.

-- o;?Elliotte Rusty Harold elharo@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx XML in a Nutshell 3rd Edition Just Published! http://www.cafeconleche.org/books/xian3/ http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ISBN=0596007647/cafeaulaitA/ref=nosim