Re: [xsl] Basic question about Namespace handling in XPath 1.0 (not necessarily related to XSLT)

Subject: Re: [xsl] Basic question about Namespace handling in XPath 1.0 (not necessarily related to XSLT)
From: Geert Josten <Geert.Josten@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 28 Sep 2005 17:16:39 +0200

I'll try (That used to be Jeni's job:-)

Is she still nursing her kiddies? ;)

add xmlns="" to the element that you want to be in no-namespace.

That applies to the order element I was talking about. Does //order return a <order xmlns="" /> when you use this expression in Xslt1 without defining a xmlns="" in the XSL? That was what I meant to say as I expected it would.

In an XPath2 API, It's up to that API, in XSLT2 you put
default-xpath-default-namespace="...." on any xsl instruction, or
xsl:default-xpath-default-namespace="...." on any literal result element
to change the interpretation of unprefixed element (and type) names in
Xpath expressions within that scope.

Sounds usefull :)

Sometimes elements from queries are copied or are in the same namespace as the literals.

Your statement is true, but I'm not sure how it relates to the original statement about xmlns in a stylesheet. Elements that are copied are unaffected by any namespace declarations in the stylesheet.

Sharply noticed..

Yes, it doesn't affect the result of copying itself as copying takes the namespaces as they come from the source. But it does affect the selecting/querying of those elements to copy them, like how it matters in match patterns and other expressions...

:-)

Cheers