RE: [xsl] Apply-templates - how to omit top level element tags?

Subject: RE: [xsl] Apply-templates - how to omit top level element tags?
From: "Aron Bock" <aronbock@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 12 Sep 2005 04:15:23 +0000

Your analogy does not mirror my point.  Here's a better one.  Assume a
working C program.  Now I simply add function FooBar() into the source
code, and numerous other testing and debugged functions start returning
results that were different then they returned prior to my adding the
new function FooBar().
THAT is fragile.

In the spirit that one may always find "better" analogies to support one's point, it is indeed better. It's still not infallible. Here's a better-better one supporting the opposition's contention: you have a working C++ program, and introduce a brand new function. [Un]known to you it overloads an existing function, and causes some processing to be sent its way because its signature is a better match for some calls (based on C++'s rules for automatic datatype conversions during function calls). Caveat: one still needs to know what one's doing.

But the unstated point is well taken: that [afaik] XSLT (1.0 and to some extent 2.0) doesn't have a whole lot of help for programming in the large.

Regards,

--A

FREE pop-up blocking with the new MSN Toolbar  get it now! http://toolbar.msn.click-url.com/go/onm00200415ave/direct/01/