Re: [xsl] Joining sibling elements

Subject: Re: [xsl] Joining sibling elements
From: JBryant@xxxxxxxxx
Date: Wed, 10 Aug 2005 15:11:45 -0500

Hi, Joris,

That's a problem I've bumped into myself. Basically, you get better
translation results if the translators can work on large blocks of
uninterrupted text. Lots of elements break up the text, which makes it
harder for the translators to follow the meaning and properly translate.
Even experienced, knowledgeable translators who have been trained about
which elements to ignore have trouble with this, as it's human nature to
try to make sense of what we see. Of course, the translators may also
inadvertently mangle the elements, too, but that doesn't hinder their
translation process.

 Fortunately, the same things that make technical documentation easy to
follow also make it easy to translate. So, using predictable sentence
structure, always using the same word for the same meaning (that is,
following a defined lexicon), and similar techniques are good practices
for multiple reasons.

Jay Bryant
Bryant Communication Services

"Joris Gillis" <roac@xxxxxxxxxx>
08/10/2005 02:52 PM
Please respond to
xsl-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

xsl-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
cc

Subject
Re: [xsl] Joining sibling elements

Tempore 19:49:30, die 08/10/2005 AD, hinc in
xsl-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx scripsit Marcin Mi3kowski
<milek_pl@xxxxx>:

> So this is a transformation to keep the resulting file tidy, with less
> tagging. I'm planning such a transformation for WordML files before
> submitting them for translation where less tagging means higher
> translation quality.

May be a stupid question, but why would the amount of markup influence the
quality of a translation?