Re: [xsl] Whitespace problem, always returning identity

Subject: Re: [xsl] Whitespace problem, always returning identity
From: Stefan Schulz <schulz@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 22 Jun 2005 15:13:56 -0400

Hi,

answering myself after some testing. I am not sure, if this is the final cause, but might be of interest to others using the J5 SAXParser for XSLT:

When the parser is set to being aware of namespaces and a no namespace definition is given by xmlns="http://some.na.me/space", at least xsl:strip-space does not seem to work anymore (didn't check for other tags). Qualifying the namespace definition makes it work again. I am not sure, if this is a desired behavior or a bug.

If anyone had a similar problem and solved it (other than using qualification) I'd be glad to know.

Cheers,
Stefan

Stefan Schulz wrote:
Hi,

maybe a rookie problem again. I apply the following XSL to any XML document to omit all whitespaces from non-content data. But the result still has all the whitespaces as in the source.

<?xml version='1.0' ?>
<xsl:output method="xml" indent="no"/>
<xsl:strip-space elements="*"/>
<xsl:template match="@*|node()">
<xsl:copy>
</xsl:copy>
</xsl:template>
</xsl:stylesheet>

Example XML (output is identical):
<myroot>
  <innernode/>
</myroot>

Expected Output:

Maybe I am missing something, and (to make it worse) I am sure it worked once before the way I wanted it to.

Thanks in advance,
Stefan