Re: [xsl] xsl:apply-templates behaving differently depending on the node copied?

Subject: Re: [xsl] xsl:apply-templates behaving differently depending on the node copied?
From: "Aron Bock" <aronbock@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 11 May 2005 22:56:54 +0000

Thanks Mukul (and Aron), this works for me. However, doesn't this method mean that after the main <html>...</html> is formed, it is read again to parse the TD element change? isn't there a more efficient way which makes the copy in one scan of the XML contents instead of two?

I haven't read through the source of any XSLT processors, but I would assume input XML is converted to some internal representation, with skiplists, etc, to facilitate node lookup and processing. Meaning that in practice the XML is not multiply scanned.

Moreover, this is about as good as it gets for standard idioms of copying nodes from input to output, and I assume processors are tuned for it. Areas where you need to worry about efficiency are those involving application-related algorithms you devise and code (eg: using key-based grouping versus preceeding::-based grouping).

Regards,

--A