Re: [xsl] XSL - Transforming 2 XSL stylesheets from 1 XML file

Subject: Re: [xsl] XSL - Transforming 2 XSL stylesheets from 1 XML file
From: Colin Paul Adams <colin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: 05 May 2005 17:27:40 +0100

    Andrew> It's naove because it's grouping all mobile devices
    Andrew> under the one handheld banner - if you can only specify
    Andrew> one stylesheet for all handheld devices in the world then
    Andrew> the markup it generates will have to be pretty generic.

But you're NOT limited to supplying just one stylesheet.

    Andrew> The whole idea of associating a stylesheet with an XML
    Andrew> document by hard-coding it into the XML is wrong
    >>  It certainly isn't wrong - it's an excellent idea, enabling
    >> clients to offload work from busy servers

    Andrew> It certainly is wrong - it's an awful idea.

No it's not.
There are many cases when it's a good idea to clearly specify which
possible stylesheets should normally be applied to a source file.

    Andrew> Blame the spec, not the implementations, it was a bad idea
    Andrew> from start

No I won't. It's a good spec. And it's highly flexible.
Also it doesn't require stylesheets to be associated via this
method. It says:

"Style Sheets can be associated with an XML[XML10] document by using a
processing instruction whose target is xml-stylesheet."

If it said they MUST be associated in this manner, then THAT would be a
bad idea.
--
Colin Paul Adams
Preston Lancashire