RE: [xsl] [XSLT] xsl:message output encoding ?

Subject: RE: [xsl] [XSLT] xsl:message output encoding ?
From: "Michael Kay" <mike@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 8 Apr 2005 23:32:39 +0100

> Then I would like to formally petition the working group to
> specify that
> the serialization of xsl:message should respect the xsl:output
> declaration, just like the serialization of the result
> document.  How do
> I go about that?

If you read the status section of the spec, it tells you how to raise
comments.

I don't think that using the same format as the principal output makes very
much sense - why should it be the same? However, I can see an argument for
providing some control. Some people only ever use xsl:message for simple
text messages, in which case escaping < and > doesn't make much sense; but
if you use it to output chunks of XML, like

<xsl:message>Value of $tree: <xsl:copy-of select="$tree"/></xsl:message>

then using the XML output method makes much more sense.

Michael Kay
http://www.saxonica.com/