RE: [xsl] XML to XML conversion

Subject: RE: [xsl] XML to XML conversion
From: "Michael Kay" <mike@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 25 Jan 2005 23:22:49 -0000

> In this case, am I correct in assuming that xml-to-xml conversion is
> neccessary?

Absolutely!

> I'm having difficulties finding any resources for this area.
> I understand
> XML and XSL concepts, but there seems to be a grey area over
> XML to XML conversion.

No, it's not a grey area. XML-to-XML conversion is a key application of
XSLT. (There are two important subdivisions: where the vocabulary of the
target document is the same as the source document, and where it is
different.)

It might be true that XML-to-HTML conversion accounts for 75% of the usage
of XSLT, but it's best regarded as a special case.

> I'd be most grateful if anyone good point me in the directions of any
> articles or books that may be of use.

Most decent XSLT books should have a range of XML-to-XML examples. My "XSLT
Programmer's Reference" (any edition) discusses the concepts in Chapter 1,
and has many examples scattered through the book.

Michael Kay
http://www.saxonica.com/