[XSL-LIST Mailing List Archive Home] [By Thread] [By Date]

Re: [xsl] Entity Questions


Subject: Re: [xsl] Entity Questions
From: "Luke Shannon" <lshannon@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 18 Jan 2005 12:51:00 -0500

Hi Michael;

I sent an email out yesterday evening with a full example (XML, XSL, desired
output). If you did not get it, please let me know and I can send it out
again.

Thanks,

Luke

----- Original Message ----- 
From: "Michael Kay" <mike@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: <xsl-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Tuesday, January 18, 2005 12:41 PM
Subject: RE: [xsl] Entity Questions


> You still haven't shown us your XML input, but it's beginning to sound
very
> much as if it contains HTML markup that is disguised as ordinary text
either
> by putting it in a CDATA section or by escaping the angle brackets.
>
> If that's the case, you either need to extract the text-containing-HTML
and
> parse it into a tree, which you can do with an extension such as
> saxon:parse(), or you need to get rid of the extra level of escaping by
> serializing the HTML using disable-output-escaping="yes".
>
> It's best not to start from here, as they say, but sometimes you have no
> choice.
>
> Michael Kay
> http://www.saxonica.com/
>
>
> > -----Original Message-----
> > From: Luke Shannon [mailto:lshannon@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx]
> > Sent: 18 January 2005 17:30
> > To: xsl-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> > Subject: Re: [xsl] Entity Questions
> >
> > Hi Michael;
> >
> > The point I am at now is the TEXT node of my XML document
> > contains text,
> > some of this text contains HTML. If I display the text
> > disabling output
> > escaping, I can see HTML tags in the output. Otherwise the
> > output contains
> > escaped HTML tags (example: ;&lt;P&gt;).
> >
> > What I think I need to do is tansform this text into a tree
> > so I can create
> > templates to handle nodes like <p>. I noticed you meantioned
> > to someone else
> > saxon:parse() to transform text into a tree.
> >
> > Is this what I need to do? Do I have other options?
> >
> > To review my goal is to find HTML tags in the content and
> > replace them with
> > FO tags.
> >
> > Thanks,
> >
> > Luke
> >
> > ----- Original Message ----- 
> > From: "Michael Kay" <mike@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
> > To: <xsl-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
> > Sent: Monday, January 17, 2005 6:19 PM
> > Subject: RE: [xsl] Entity Questions
> >
> >
> > > >
> > > > I tested adding the match="P" template. I didn't replace
> > > > anything. I think
> > > > this might be because I changed the output method to xml
> > to deal with
> > > > entities like &nbsp;
> > > >
> > > > I am thinking the <P> tags are now &lt;P&gt; so the template
> > > > is not matching
> > > > them. I am adding some logging to verify this, if this is the
> > > > case I may
> > > > need to rethink things.
> > >
> > > Try to reduce the size of the problem, and post a complete specimen
> > > including source XML, desired result, and stylesheet. Then
> > we can see
> > where
> > > you're going wrong. You're not grasping some of the
> > concepts: you're still
> > > talking about tags rather than nodes, and thinking of the
> > input and output
> > > as text rather than trees. It might be a good idea to do
> > some reading.
> > >
> > > Michael Kay
> > > http://www.saxonica.com/


Current Thread
Keywords