[xsl] [Serial] Re: [xsl] Preserving character entities

Subject: [xsl] [Serial] Re: [xsl] Preserving character entities
From: Elliotte Harold <elharo@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 25 Nov 2004 11:32:55 -0500

David Carlisle wrote:

except that currently saxon mplements the last draft which said that if
you specify an encoding and then specify you don't want the
xml-declaration that you get the declaration anyway (as in XSLT 1)

the new draft (following at least in part from a public comment from
me) says that xslt should do what you ask and not give you an xml
declaration in this case.

Any XML parser would then be required to correctly default this to
utf-8.

I would like to make a formal comment that this is wrong. The serializer should not output a malformed document. Currently, the spec says:

A serialization error results if the omit-xml-declaration parameter has the value yes, and

* the standalone attribute has a value other than none; or
* the version parameter has a value other than 1.0 and the doctype-system parameter is specified.

The serializer MUST signal the error.

I suggest a third bullet point be added along these lines:

* the encoding attribute has a value other than "utf-8" or utf-16"

I do not see why encoding should be singled out here from standalone and version. It makes more sense to simply signal an error on any impossible case.

--
Elliotte Rusty Harold  elharo@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx