Re: [xsl] for i = 1 to 10, or while (is there an equivalent?)

Subject: Re: [xsl] for i = 1 to 10, or while (is there an equivalent?)
From: Geert Josten <Geert.Josten@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 10 Nov 2004 07:16:49 +0100

Steven Reddie wrote:

Actually, I think I'm already dead in the water.  Is there a way to modify a
variable after it is declared and set?

What I was hoping to do was (forgive the ugly psuedo xsl):

	while (<xsl:if test="contains($var,'\')")
	{
		var = <xsl:value-of
select="substring-before($var,'\')"/><xsl:text>\\</xsl:text><xsl:value-of
select="substring-after($var,'\')"/>
	}

But it looks like I can neither do the while (other than something really
dodgy like select="//*") or modify the variable.

Any guidance appreciated.

Steven

If you are using XSLT 1, the most used way is to write a recursive named-template, that indeed uses contains and substring-before/after to process the string. Jeni Tennison has gathered a lot of usefull stuff on a web site, you might want to look at that.

If you can use XSLT 2, look at the tokenize function.

Grtz,
Geert