Re: [xsl] XML/XSL free editor (eclipse plug-in, if possible)

Subject: Re: [xsl] XML/XSL free editor (eclipse plug-in, if possible)
From: "M. David Peterson" <m.david@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 08 Nov 2004 04:07:00 -0800

Pawson, David wrote:

The biggest annoyance with jedit that made me delete it on windows;
The Redmond habit of associating extensions with applications?
jedit grabs .txt files, and I failed to find a way of removing the association.

Ahh, yes... I have found the same annoyance even beyond text files... It seems that the whomever wrote the Windows installer floods the registry in such a way that it tends to take over as the default for a lot of extensions... I have found it quite annoying when I double click a particular binary (off the top of my head I cant think of a specific extension -- but it has happened enough to make me a bit aggravated) file and have jEdit spend the next 15 seconds opening it up as text in the editor. I do know that with the lastest 4.2 release the Windows installer was going to be dropped as no one was maintaining it. But at or about pre12 or pre13 somebody jumped in and took over the maintainance and created a new installer for Windows. I can't say for sure if they "fixed" this annoying habit as I doubt the uninstall process does much of a cleansing of the registry job and as such theres no way of knowing if the new installer has followed suit or if the "habits" that I still deal with are left overs from previous installs.

It seems though that this thread has officially gone off topic so I best not take this any further... (and we all know if given the opportunity is a bit hard to get me to shut up :D ;)

Cheers!

<M:D/>