[xsl] XSL and localization

Subject: [xsl] XSL and localization
From: ar <armaillist@xxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 06 Oct 2004 15:54:53 +0200

Hi all,

I want to introduce localization possibilities in my xsl transformations. To do that, I created a directory "locale" with a subdirectory for each lang "en", "es", "fr", "de" where I put xml files with translated text.
The information of the lang to use is in my data xml file.

To retrieve the good translation file, I use something like :

<xsl:variable name="labels" select="document(concat('locale/', /*/@lang,'/test_locale.xml'))//label" />

To retrieve a label I use :
  <xsl:value-of select="$labels[@id='ALabelId']"/>

My problem is when the translation file doesn't exist. I'd like to choose a default file in this case :

If in my data file the "lang" parameter = "fr" then use the labels in file locale/fr/test_locale.xml. If this file doesn't exist, I want to use the file locale/en/test_locale.xml.

Is this possible and how ?

Is there a better way to implement localization ?

-- A. ROY