RE: [xsl] Finding min and max

Subject: RE: [xsl] Finding min and max
From: "Michael Kay" <mhk@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 8 Sep 2004 22:05:20 +0100

> I need help with finding  min & max value in a nodeset based
> on the account
> type (I and R) AND minimum and maximum value in a nodeset (no
> matter what
> the account type is).

Well, you presumably know how to select the nodes that satisfy the relevant
condition, e.g. record[Account='I']/High. Given a node-set, there are
several ways you can find the min and max value:

* In XPath 2.0, use the min() and max() functions.

* Sort the nodes, and choose the first and last in sorted order

* Do a scan of the nodes using a recursive template, keeping track of the
highest and lowest so far.

The third approach is probably the most efficient because you can get the
min and max in a single scan, but it's also the hardest one to code,
especially for a beginner.

Michael Kay