RE: [xsl] Writing out to and reading back from an XML file

Subject: RE: [xsl] Writing out to and reading back from an XML file
From: Chris Loschen <closchen@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 01 Aug 2004 14:53:47 -0400

At 02:28 PM 8/1/2004, you wrote:
It's not clear how you are "writing out" the file.

I'm using xalan:write like so:

<xalan:write file="BillHeader.xml">

If you're using XSLT 2.0 xsl:result-document, the spec is quite clear that
it's an error to try and read and write the same resource in a single
transformation. The reason is that XSLT doesn't define the sequence in which
operations are performed. A processor could try and read the file before it
has been written.

I'm stuck with XSLT 1.0 for now, unfortunately. But the other problem isn't a problem, because we're talking about persisting the data in one transform and reading it back in during subsequent transforms.

More to the point, I don't see why you are trying to do this. With the help
of the xx:node-set() extension in XSLT 1.0, you can create a temporary tree
in memory and use it more than once. You don't have to write it out in
serial form to filestore, and then reread and reparse it.

That would be fine if I were doing all of this in a single transform, but I'm not --
I'm doing several thousand transforms, each one on a small piece of the
larger document. That is, I'm running a transform on one <Bill> at a time.
So I can't just refer back to another piece of the same transform -- that's why
I think I need to persist the information so I can get back at it later on.

This expression:

string(namespace::$uri)

should give you an XPath syntax error.

Yes, indeed it does. What I was hoping for was that the namespace axis would return the URI as a string, which I could then manipulate as such to take care of the translated spaces, but that's clearly not the case

I can't correct it for you because I
have no idea what you thought it might mean.

I hope that's more clear -- thanks so much for your help (and for your book, which
I use constantly!).

Michael Kay

Yours,

Chris Loschen