RE: [xsl] encoding shift_jis into an attribute

Subject: RE: [xsl] encoding shift_jis into an attribute
From: "Josh Canfield" <Josh.Canfield@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 3 Jun 2004 16:20:51 -0700

	>You asked about setting the output encoding to "ascii".  This doesn't
	>seem to make any difference.

	That's too bad. In general, finding an output method (like "ascii" or
	"US-ASCII" or whatever your processor supports) that doesn't include
	upper-ASCII characters is a good way to compel the serializer to escape all
	non-ASCII characters as Unicode character references.

The problem isn't that the characters aren't escaped, but that they are escaped using the URI scheme (%HH), instead of the XML scheme (&#DDDD;).

I'm not familiar with the help tool that you are using, but it seems like it should handle the un-escaping of it's parameter since that is the correct way to represent strings in an href attribute...

In Netscape 7 and IE5.5 there is encodeURI, and decodeURI JavaScript functions for handling uri encoded strings:

Although, in reality I would be using the onclick attribute, and the issue would be moot...

Josh