RE: [xsl] Calculating a Moving Average

Subject: RE: [xsl] Calculating a Moving Average
From: "Jack Ratcliff" <jratcliff@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 1 Jun 2004 11:59:55 -0400

> I am trying to calculate a moving average based on the below XML,
> according to a number of days parameter. Ie 20 day moving average,
> would sum the last (starting at the end 20040528) 20 days
> closing price <cl> and divide by 20.

John, I think this would work for you without having to use any
extensions.  The key was to get the 'dateFiltered' variable to only
contain the nodes where their position is greater than the (last node
minus the varDays parameter).

<?xml version="1.0"?>
<xsl:stylesheet version="1.0"

<xsl:param name="varDays" select="20"/>

<xsl:output method="html" indent="yes" version="4.0" />

<xsl:variable name="dataFiltered" select="asx/day[position() &gt;
(last() - $varDays)]" />

<xsl:template match="/">
   Average = <xsl:value-of select="sum($dataFiltered/cl) div
count($dataFiltered)"/>
   <!-- here are the details that made up the average -->
    <xsl:apply-templates select="$dataFiltered"/>
</xsl:template>

<xsl:template match="day">
</xsl:template>

</xsl:stylesheet>

Cheers,
Jack

This e-mail and any files transmitted with it are confidential and are intended solely for the use of the individual or entity to which they are addressed.  It is not an offer or acceptance, and it is not intended to be all or part of an agreement.  This communication may contain material protected by the attorney-client privilege.  If you are not the intended recipient or the person responsible for delivering the e-mail to the intended recipient, be advised that you have received this e-mail in error and that any review, use, dissemination, forwarding, printing, or copying of this e-mail is strictly prohibited.  If you have received this e-mail in error, please notify the sender immediately by return e-mail and delete this e-mail from your system.  The sender does not accept liability for any damage caused by any virus transmitted by this e-mail or any errors or omissions in the contents of this message which arise as a result of e-mail transmission.