Re: [xsl] killing xslt

Subject: Re: [xsl] killing xslt
From: Jirka Kosek <jirka@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 18 May 2004 20:25:38 +0200

Michael Kay wrote:

> (1) is not innovative enough to qualify for a PhD project (but of course,
> it's not for me to judge what the criteria are at your institution)
>
> (2) translating XSLT 2.0 into 1.0 sounds very difficult to do, because of
> the differences in the data model and type system.
>
> (3) would be a very interesting project. XQuery uses the same data model
and
> type system as XSLT 2.0, and has a subset of the functionality, so
compiling
> an XSLT 2.0 stylesheet into an equivalent XQuery sounds both feasible and
> sufficiently challenging.
>
> (4) is probably too big as a typical PhD project, especially as you will
> have to do something innovative along the way, e.g. exploring optimisation
> techniques.

Michael, many thanks for your opinions. I will definitively study all
possibilities in more depth and then decide which way is the most
feasible. I will be definitively publishing running text of my work
on-line, so other interested folks can share experience. I will post
link here after there will be something to publish :-D

					Jirka

   Jirka Kosek     e-mail: jirka@xxxxxxxx     http://www.kosek.cz
   Profesionalnm 9kolenm a poradenstvm v oblasti technologim XML.
         DocBook 18.-19.5.                 XSLT 24.-26.5.
         XML pro v}vojaxe 7.-8.6.          XSL-FO 16.6.

[****** removed an attachment of type application/x-pkcs7-signature which had a name of smime.p7s]