RE: [xsl] Encapsulating and displaying html fragments

Subject: RE: [xsl] Encapsulating and displaying html fragments
From: Shaun ONeil <shaun@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 15 May 2004 19:28:35 -0400

On Sat, 2004-05-15 at 12:57 +0200, Andreas L. Delmelle wrote:
> > From: Shaun ONeil [mailto:shaun@xxxxxxxxxxx]

> Is there any reason in particular why your input looks the way it does?
>
> > <?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
> > <?xml-stylesheet type="text/xsl" href="testcase.xsl"?>
> > <test>
> >   <fragment>&lt;p&gt;A &lt;acronym title="HyperText Markup
> > Language"&gt;HTML&lt;/acronym&gt; fragment&lt;/p&gt;</fragment>
> > </test>

I hadn't thought of treating the HTML as XML, so I'd experimented with
CDATA sections .. then realised it was having the same effect as
entities, so I stuck with that to keep on eless complication (CDATA) out
of the puzzle

> The content of the fragment node is actually valid XML, so why not just make
> it:
>
> <fragment>
> fragment</p>
> </fragment>
>
> to begin with. Then you won't need d-o-e after all, just use
>
> <xsl:copy-of select="fragment/p" />
>
> to copy it to the result tree...

I'm dealing with XHTML 1.0 Strict, for both the source fragments and the
rendered document .. so they should always be valid XML :o)  Once again
my common flaw of sticking with what I was used to (value-of) rather
that looking to see what other tools are available - copy-of
"fragment/*" is doing the trick perfectly.

> HTH!
>
> Greetz,
>
> Andreas

It does indeed,