RE: [xsl] killing xslt

Subject: RE: [xsl] killing xslt
From: Michael Müller-Hillebrand <info@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 13 May 2004 17:12:46 +0200

On 13.05.2004 (14:46 Uhr +0100), Michael Kay wrote:

>The sad part of this is that it pretty well kills XSLT on the browser, which
>always held out so much promise if only the interoperability problems could
>be sorted out.

Is that really an issue? I work in the technical documentation field and we have two typical scenarios:

* Large books in XML format: XSL is used to transform the data into smaller HTML files which are used as online help (possibly after compilation into MS HTML Help format).

* XML input which should be published using traditional desktop publishing software: XSL is used to (optionally join several XML files and) transform the "storage" XML into "publishing" XML, which has to take into account certain restrictions of publishing software.

So for me XML is a structured, vendor-neutral storage format, and (x)HTML is a publishing format (much like PDF).

I always had the impression that in the field of publishing on the web, in most cases it would be easier to create some good old HTML files from any XML data, than rely on the user's browser to correctly transform the XML into something viewable.

I guess XSLT is used for a lot more things than I can imagine.

- Michael
Michael M|ller-Hillebrand, Dipl.-Ing.    <http://cap-studio.de/>
    FrameMaker, FrameScript, XML/XSL,... Publishing-Lvsungen