RE: [xsl] Sequencing, Numbering, and Count

Subject: RE: [xsl] Sequencing, Numbering, and Count
From: Jarno.Elovirta@xxxxxxxxx
Date: Wed, 10 Mar 2004 09:41:10 +0200

Hi,

> While producing my XML output with XSLT I also need to count
> the number of nodes I created and add sequence numbers to
> each node.  Please note that I cannot use the count function
> on the original document as there is no way to retrieve this
> data without producing the transformed data first.

Create the result into a RTF, turn that into a node-set and process to add the sequence numbering, or do two passes. There might a way to do everything in just one pass by changing the processing, but since you didn't show use your original document, one can't tell.

> Where the "seq" number is just a counter that is incremented
> by one.  Plus once the document is produced I need to set the
> maximum sequence number equal to a variable (In the above
> example it is 3) so that I can pass this information back to
> my middleware.

Variable outside the XSLT process? Use an extension to set it, or e.g. output a processing-instruction which you read on the way to serialization, or use xsl:message to output the number and catch that.

Cheers,

Jarno - Claire Voyant: Love the Giver (remix by Eskil Simonsson of Covenant)