RE: [xsl] Generating the source XML from XSLT

Subject: RE: [xsl] Generating the source XML from XSLT
From: "Willink, Ed" <Ed.Willink@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 1 Mar 2004 12:42:54 -0000

Hi Satish

a) If your XSLT happens to have a schema then your problem is solved,
you have a schema defining your input.

b) more realistically, wherever you find a two-step XPath expression
you have some clue about the structure, thus a match for

	"/xmi:XMI"

tells you that "xmi:XMI" is the root element.

A select of "this/and/@that" suggests that
a "this" element may have "and" child elements which may have
"that" attributes.

A detailed analysis keeping track of modes and current() will ensure
that a seemingly unhelpful XPath expression such as "and" can be
understood as "current()/descendant::and".

These analyses are likely to be _very_ hard, but should yield
fragmentary information that can be assembled to give some
clues about the whole. How comprehensive this is will be very
dependent on the complexity of the XSLT w.r.t. the XML structure.
The validity of the result may be totally undermined if all
your clues actually derive from error analyses, though arguably
if XSLT code traps them, they are valid input after all.

[I understand that assembly of fragments of
DNA code for the human genome project was quite hard too.]

	Regards

		Ed Willink

E.D.Willink,                             Email: mailto:EdWillink@xxxxxxx
Thales Research and Technology (UK) Ltd, Tel:  +44 118 923 8278 (direct)
Worton Drive,                            or  +44 118 986 8601 (ext 8278)
Worton Grange Business Park,             Fax:  +44 118 923 8399
Reading,   RG2 0SB
ENGLAND          http://www.computing.surrey.ac.uk/personal/pg/E.Willink