[xsl] Unable to resolve the XSL reference from MS Outlook e-mail attachment on Win XP

Subject: [xsl] Unable to resolve the XSL reference from MS Outlook e-mail attachment on Win XP
From: "Bob Cagle" <bcagle@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 26 Feb 2004 10:38:50 -0600

I am hoping that someone can point me in the right direction:  I am currently working on a project to send some XML Purchase Orders via e-mail.

I have run into an issue that appears to be isolated to MS Outlook when running on XP.

When Outlook receives the e-mail with the attachment, we are unable to open the XML document directly from the e-mail.  We get an error when it attempts to resolve to the stylesheet (which was previously placed on the local hard drive of the receiving machine in the specified directory).

The specific error we get is:

      The XML page cannot be displayed

      Cannot view XML input using XSL style sheet. Please correct the error

      and then click the Refresh button, or try again later.

      Access is denied. Error processing resource 'file:///c:/LynkIncXML/LynkXMLPO.xsl'.

We are being forced to save the XML document to the local hard drive, and then are able to open it with the stylesheet formatting in place.

I know that the attachment is stored in C:\Documents and Settings\<user>\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files\OLFK17 so I browsed to the actual XML temp file and tried opening it from there and get the same error.  So I moved that very same file to a different directory and was able to open it without any errors!

Anyone have any ideas about this?  Why would that temp directory be causing this to occur?

Other e-mail clients, such as Lotus Notes or Outlook Express on a Win 9x/ME machine, do not have a problem opening this same document.

TIA

Bob Cagle
IT Manager
Lynk, Inc.