Re: [xsl] Converting &, >, <, ", and other odd-ball characters...

Subject: Re: [xsl] Converting &, >, <, ", and other odd-ball characters...
From: Mike Brown <mike@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 23 Jul 2003 18:09:07 -0600 (MDT)

Elizabeth Barham wrote:
>    The method I'm using to do this is by making an XML configuration
> file that contains information on what characters to change, such as:
>
>        <pair from="&#xd2;" to="&amp;lsquo;"/>
>
> That is, if the program finds the data value 0xD2 in the input stream,
> it should notice this and replace it with &lsquo;

Does this have *anything* to do with XSLT?
If not, it does not belong on this list.

Please read up on character encoding, what a character reference is,
and what an entity reference is. You seem to be confused about them.

As for why the behavior changed when you changed JDKs, it's probably
because some code you haven't shown us is relying on a platform default
encoding somewhere.

As for why "?" or its bytewise equivalent in some encoding might appear in an
encoded byte stream or Unicode string, it's because some codecs, such as
Java's, will replace unencodable characters or undecodable bytes with a
question mark.