Re: [xsl] Seeking a valid mdash

Subject: Re: [xsl] Seeking a valid mdash
From: "William BC Crandall" <bc.crandall@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 18 Jul 2003 17:26:03 -0700

Thanks to René, who caught the typo (did not change the result),
and to Jarno, for suggesting a test in Firebird (Page Info says:
"Encoding: UTF-8"), and David who put his finger on the problem.

I now have more clarity, but still the same problem.

The W3C validator (http://validator.w3.org/), takes in this test file:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>

  <head>
    <title>[Test validate: mdash]</title>
  </head>
      There is an mdash here:  â?"
      Here is another: &#8212;

and reports:

   "Sorry, I am unable to validate this document because on line 13 it
   contained one or more bytes that I cannot interpret as us-ascii (in
   other words, the bytes found are not valid values in the specified
   Character Encoding). Please check both the content of the file and
   the character encoding indication."

Two questions:

1. Why does the validator see this file as us-ascii encoded?

2. What instructions/code can I put into a source xml document that
will produce the ascii string "&#8212;" in my xml/xhtml output document,
after Xalan's xslt processing?

Thanks again for any thoughts.

William BC Crandall
Post Office Box 187