RE: [xsl] copy-of problem...

Subject: RE: [xsl] copy-of problem...
From: "Michael Kay" <mhk@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 15 Jul 2003 04:50:00 +0100

> Well it works Jeni... but I would like to know just why.
> I've never had to use doe before.
> Is this stopping a 'double' escaping of the entity?

I think it's sometimes useful to count parse and serialize operations.

Parsing:

&amp;lt; to &lt; to < to NODE   - 3 parsing operations
NODE to < to &lt; to &amp;lt;   - 3 serialization operations

If your input uses &lt; instead of < to represent a markup character
then you either need one extra parse step or one fewer serialization
steps. Disable-output-escaping in effect bypasses one of the
serialization steps.

Michael Kay