RE: [xsl] MSXML5 suport XSLT2? [Slightly OT]

Subject: RE: [xsl] MSXML5 suport XSLT2? [Slightly OT]
From: "Lars Huttar" <lars_huttar@xxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 11 Jul 2003 11:09:36 -0500

> http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&th
readm=e2bBBwUzCHA.2868%40TK2MSFTNGP12&rnum=1&prev=/groups%3Fhl%3Den%26lr%3D%26ie%>
3DUTF-8%26oe%3DUTF-8%26q%3DMSXML%2BFuture%26btnG%3DGoogle%2BSe
> arch%26meta%3Dgroup%253Dmicrosoft.public.xml.*

I think this is very relevant to this list so I will copy out just a snip
of it here:

> From: SQL Server Development Team [MSFT] (sqldev@xxxxxxxxxxxxx)
> Subject: Re: MSXML Future Roadmap ?
>
> Our plan is to phase out the native development and you should plan on
> switching to .Net Framework as MSXML60 will be the last version of MSXMLs.
> > How soon before the release of MSXML50 would DOM Level 3 have to be a
> > recommendation for MSXML50 to implement it?  XSLT 2.0? XPath 2.0? XML
> > Schema 1.1? XML 1.1?
>
> [umut] Again MSXML has no plans to implement new features: XSLT 2.0, XPath
> 2.0. For XML 1.1 and XSD 1.1 we are still thinking about it.

I wonder if this means that most people running Windows will not have
access to XSLT 2.0, ever. I was hoping it would become part of IE, as
is the case with XSLT 1.0, so that we could write XSLT 2.0 stylesheets
(that seems so much easier!) and be pretty sure that eventually most users
would be able to use them!

Or maybe MS means that XSLT 2.0 in-browser support will be implemented in .NET
instead of in MSXML which is native C/C++ or something.

Guess I will post a followup in that newsgroup.

The reason I think it's very relevant to xsl-list is that MS's decision to support
or not support XSLT 2.0 in their browser makes a big difference to me in whether
XSLT 2.0 is a language of choice or not!

Lars