[xsl] Re: XPath parsing or Extending MSXML

Subject: [xsl] Re: XPath parsing or Extending MSXML
From: "Dimitre Novatchev" <dnovatchev@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 13 Jun 2003 19:30:08 +0200

> The MSXML4 parser can only return nodesets or single nodes when you give
it some XPath expression. I need the possibility to > use the sum, count
(and other functions) to get integer, string and boolean values as well.

The XPath Visualizer (working with MSXML3) successfully obtains a string,
boolean or numeric result of XPath expressions. It  is possible to use the
same technique with MSXML4, too.

The possibilities to evaluate any XPath expression with the selectNodes()
and selectSingleNode() methods are even more limited than described -- using
these methods it is not possible to evaluate an XPath expression, which
involves two or more completely independent node-sets -- e.g. find the
intersection or union of ns1 (contained in var objNodeList1)  and ns2
(contained in var objNodeList2).

However, there are other ways to evaluate such XPath expressions -- the
Exslt for MSXML4 implementation is using one such technique.

Therefore, I'd recommend studying the source code of the XPath Visualizer
and of Exslt for MSXML4.

=====
Cheers,

Dimitre Novatchev.

"Marcus Andersson" <marcan@xxxxxxx> wrote in message
> Hello
>
> I have come to the point where I have to add some functionality to MSXML4
(in javascript) and it's capabilities to do XPath queries. The MSXML4 parser
can only return nodesets or single nodes when you give it some XPath
expression. I need the possibility to use the sum, count (and other
functions) to get integer, string and boolean values as well. The only
solution I have come up with is to parse the XPath expression and build some
object tree that I execute against the MSXML parser.  So my question is: Is
there any state diagram (I want to base the parser on it) publicly available
for XPath or is the only solution to build this diagram to go through the
spec?

> If anyone has another solution (ie not evaluate with a state machine based
parser) I will be more than happy to hear of it...

> /Marcus
>
> ps. I have thought of using XSLT to do this but I don't want to invoke the
processor for every little calculation ds.