RE: [xsl] Scope of variables

Subject: RE: [xsl] Scope of variables
From: "Martinez, Brian" <brian.martinez@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 8 May 2003 14:56:23 -0600

VFAQ #1.  You can't reassign a value to a variable once it is bound.  You
can, however, define a top-level variable in a stylesheet that is then
imported into another stylesheet, and then override its value (the rules of
precedence for imported modules apply).

> 2) About scope:  Within a for-each loop I have a choose.  In
> the choose I
> have a single test and an otherwise.  The result of the
> choose is setting
> the value of a variable.  Just below this choose logic I am
> referencing the
> value but am getting the error "A reference to variable or parameter
> 'currentVAL' cannot be resolved".  Where did I lose scopE on
> this variable
> (currentVAL)?

VFAQ #2.  Variables only exist within the scope of their containing element.
If you do:

<xsl:if test="$foo = 'true'">
  <xsl:variable name="bar" select="'false'"/>
</xsl:if>

then $bar never exists outside the xsl:if element, and can't be referenced
anywhere else in the stylesheet.  You want:

<xsl:variable name="bar">
  <xsl:choose>
    <xsl:when test="$foo = 'true'">false</xsl:when>
    <xsl:otherwise>true</xsl:otherwise>
  </xsl:choose>
</xsl:variable>

hth,
b.

| brian martinez                           brian.martinez@xxxxxxxxxxx |
| lead gui programmer                                    303.708.7248 |
| cheap tickets, part of trip network                fax 303.790.9350 |
| 6436 s. racine cir.                             englewood, co 80111 |
| cendant travel distribution services   http://www.cheaptickets.com/ |