[xsl] Ignoring sibling parents

Subject: [xsl] Ignoring sibling parents
From: Kaine Varley <kaine.varley@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 6 May 2003 16:58:18 +0100

Hi all,

I find that I am unable to select the sibling information for siblings that
don't share the same parents. I use the following XPath statement, well
similar anyway, to return the sibling id, and it performed perfectly until I
encountered siblings with different parents:

	foobar/foo[@id=2]/following-sibling::foo[1]/@id
 	foobar/foo[@id=2]/preceding-sibling::foo[1]/@id

Original data:
<foobars>
	<foobar>
		<foo id="1" />
		<foo id="2" />
		<foo id="3" />
		<foo id="4" />
	</foobar>
</foobars>

But my problem occurred when I started receiving data like this, since I
still wanted to pick up <foo id="3"> id attribute:
<foobars>
	<foobar>
		<foo id="1" />
		<foo id="2" />
	</foobar>
	<foobar>
		<foo id="3" />
		<foo id="4" />
	</foobar>
</foobars>

I don't get anything even if I precede my XPath expressions above with
foobars/. Any suggestions?

Kaine