Re: [xsl] How to render TEI s with chapter-like pagination?

Subject: Re: [xsl] How to render TEI <div*>s with chapter-like pagination?
From: "James J. Ramsey" <jjramsey_6x9eq42@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 10 Apr 2003 12:17:08 -0700 (PDT)

--- Wendell Piez <wapiez@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> James,
>
> Would it help to have a trick for selecting all the
> element children of
> body *except* the divs? So you can create a page
> sequence for them?
-- snip --

> <xsl:template match="body">
>    <fo:page-sequence>
>      <-- You may want to wrap this page-sequence in
> a conditional
>          to avoid spurious ones -->
>      <xsl:apply-templates
> select="*[not(self::div|self::div0|self::div1)]"/>
>    </fo:page-sequence>
>    <xsl:apply-templates select="div|div0|div1"/>
> </xsl:template>
>
> <xsl:template match="div|div0">
>    <fo:page-sequence>
>      <xsl:apply-templates/>
>    </fo:page-sequence>
> </xsl:template>
>
> <xsl:template match="div1[not(parent::div0)]">
>    <fo:page-sequence>
>      <xsl:apply-templates/>
>    </fo:page-sequence>
> </xsl:template>

The problem I see with this is that, if I read it
right, it would put whatever stuff that may be in
between <div>s, like <milestone/> tags, out in front
of the <div>s instead.

I did have an idea of my own, though I'm not sure how
fragile it is. <div*>s are not allowed outside
always render as <fo:page-sequence> . . .
</fo:page-sequence>, then making it so that something
like "</fo:page-sequence><fo:page-sequence>" is output
at the beginning of every top-level <div> except the
first should do what I want. The main catch that I see
is that one has to do something ugly like <xsl:text
disable-output-escaping="yes">&lt;/fo:page-sequence&gt;</:xsl:text>,
etc., since XSLT doesn't allow ill-formed XML inside
templates.