Re: [xsl] xmlns=""

Subject: Re: [xsl] xmlns=""
From: David N Bertoni/Cambridge/IBM <david_n_bertoni@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 11 Mar 2003 09:10:56 -0800

> It seems I have still things to understand about namespaces. I made a
> stylesheet to convert an in-house XML format to XHTML 1.1. For some
reason,
> I get a xmlns="" on each top-level element beneath <body>. If I remove
the
> default namespace declaration in the <html> root element, they disappear.

We would need to see your source document and the full stylesheet to be
certain, but likely the problem is your stylesheet contains literal result
elements that have a null namespace URI, so they are not in the namespace "
http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml."  Or, you may be copying elements from the
source document which have a null namespace URI.  In either case, the
processor must preserve the namespace URI of the elements, so it generates
a namespace declaration to "undeclare" the default namespace.

Dave