RE: [xsl] value of variable inside a condition doesn't work?

Subject: RE: [xsl] value of variable inside a condition doesn't work?
From: "Michael Kay" <michael.h.kay@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 31 Jan 2003 19:37:04 -0000

So I meant to ask which processors don't always evaluate f(x) to find
out that it's y, never remembering that f(x) *is* y for subsequent
calls. For extension functions, people often count on the evaluation
having side-effects or returning different results, so I'm interested to
know which processors will catch these people off-guard. I think XT
might be one of them, IIRC.

Saxon 7.x has an extension that allows you to request memoisation of
stylesheet functions

<xsl:function name="f" saxon:memo-function="yes">

This only works for stylesheet functions, but you can always wrap a
stylesheet function around an external extension function.

It's not the default, because I suspect there would be many cases where
you would just use a lot of memory and gain no benefit.

Michael Kay
Software AG
home: Michael.H.Kay@xxxxxxxxxxxx
work: Michael.Kay@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx