Re: [xsl] Memory housekeeping in Saxon and other XSLT processors ...

Subject: Re: [xsl] Memory housekeeping in Saxon and other XSLT processors ...
From: Johannes Döbler <jd@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 09 Dec 2002 23:52:07 +0100

No XSLT processor will construct the result tree in memory (the clever ones don't need to, and the not so clever ones are too lazy to do that).
But if you do not observe an OutOfMemoryError, I would bet there is an innocent endless loop or something like that in your JDBC extension.
Just add some System.out.println("Hello, I'm alive") to it to get more diagnostics.

cheers,
jd

Hi, what do you guys do if you have HUGE XML instances that your
transforms generate? Let's assume for a moment you have a transform
that replicates the input document 2 billion times, or something
similarly silly that really creates a HUGE string of output tree.
Is there anything in Saxon (or other XSLT processors) that would try
to keep a hold on the whole tree even though it dumps tags to the
output stream? Are there any switches I need to set to make sure that
memory for result trees is freed after a result node has been output?

I am having a problem with an XSLT based database dumper that ends
up haging after a while. I'm not sure if it is the JDBC driver or
server that hangs, but it's possible that Saxon accumulates memory
allocations. I never get an out-of-memory error ...

thanks,
-Gunther

-- Gunther Schadow, M.D., Ph.D. gschadow@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx Medical Information Scientist Regenstrief Institute for Health Care Adjunct Assistant Professor Indiana University School of Medicine tel:1(317)630-7960 http://aurora.regenstrief.org