RE: [xsl] How to obtain parameters with the xsl?

Subject: RE: [xsl] How to obtain parameters with the xsl?
From: "Steve Clay" <steve.clay@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 4 Nov 2002 09:24:44 -0000

Hi

I've been struggling with this too. I have some xml which I want to display in a browser, having transformed it to html using xslt. The stylesheet needs to select just some of the data: which data exactly is known only at runtime. So ideally I'd like to pass a parameter on the url like you can do with html pages:

	(a) html like this: "http://somewhere/myhtmlpage.htm?some-param.
	(b) xml like this?: "file:///c:\path\filename.xml?some-param

I have managed to do this by 1) having a real html file with a body consisting of a single <div/> element, (2) loading the xml file, (3) creating a new node, (4) extracting the url parameter using the javascript "document.location.search.substring(1);", (5) setting the new node's value to this parameter and finally (5) loading the xslt, which can now access the node I just added and use it to select just the data required before assigning it to the <div> element in the body of the page. Phew! Is there an easier and more elegant way?

On this topic Jarno.Elovirta said "Top-level xsl:param element with the same name." I wondered if this meant I could just put "<?xml-stylesheet type="text/xsl" href="Data.xslt"?> at the top of my xml file and load it in Explorer using something like (b) above but if I have a stylesheet with a parameter element at the top level MXSML v4.0 just says "Keyword xsl:stylesheet may not contain xsl:parameter." So, I'm sorry Jarno but I don't understand what you meant.

Anyone any suggestions or ideas please?
Kindest regards.
Steve Clay