Re: Functional Language wasRE: [xsl] Re: declarative language, need for loops etc.

Subject: Re: Functional Language wasRE: [xsl] Re: declarative language, need for loops etc.
From: "J.Pietschmann" <j3322ptm@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 21 Oct 2002 01:55:40 +0200

Kurt Cagle wrote:
..., but I find there is nothing I can't do in XML Query I can't
do in XSLT, while there is a great deal that I can do in XSLT that is next
to impossible in XML Query.

XSLT and XQuery are complementary technologies, or they could be. XQuery says nothing about data storage, and the intention is that you can query a bunch of RDBMS, a file system full of XML documents and a web service all at once with a single query, and return the result as XML. Pipe it through an XSLT processor to get (X)HTML, WML, XSLFO (PDF) or and SVG graph or comma separated lists.

J.Pietschmann